You may have heard a lot about plant-based lifestyles these days, anything from our diets to our skincare products. While it may still seem like a trend and not much more than hype, in reality, plant-based lifestyles can offer many health benefits, including the promotion of healthy skin. As its name suggests, plant-based skincare products are made entirely from ingredients that are derived from plants such as fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, seeds, nuts, and herbs.
These plants are jam-packed with the essential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that support glowing skin, strong nails, and luscious hair. When it comes to beauty, the key is finding a balance between what you put in your body, what you put on your body, and how you take care of your body.
Know What You’re Buying: Natural vs. Organic
You’ve probably seen a lot of skincare products that claim to be “all natural” or “100% organic.” When a product is labeled USDA certified organic, it means that it is made from 95% or more ingredients that are derived from a plant source. Furthermore, all of the ingredients are also grown without pesticides, bioengineered genes, or petroleum-based fertilizers.
On the other hand, natural products are considered to be those that are derived from natural sources without added synthetic compounds. Unlike the term organic, the word natural is not regulated when it comes to product labels. What this means is that a product can be labeled as natural and contain up to 30 percent synthetic ingredients.
Here’s where it’s important to work with conscious companies and trusted suppliers using only the highest quality raw ingredients to ensure a finished product that’s rich in benefits. Many brands aren’t able to carry the USDA organic certification for many reasons, but that doesn’t always mean their products don’t uphold just as similar, or even more stringent standards.
How Plant-Based Products Benefit Your Skin
While there are many reasons why plant-based skin products could be a welcomed introduction to your skincare routine, there are a few key benefits worth highlighting:
- Antioxidant-rich plant-based skincare products work to restore and strengthen your body’s cells by combating free radicals (oxidants).
- The vitamins featured in plant-based skincare products are vital to maintaining the health of your skin. They also support cell repair and can help decrease signs of aging.
- Essential fats and acids offer a number of skin benefits such as helping to calm acne, fight dryness, combat oiliness, smooth scars, and increase skin elasticity.
- The word hydrocolloids may sound a little foreign, but these naturally occurring polymers give plant-based skincare products a natural texture without the need for harmful petrochemicals or other synthesized polymers.
- Naturally occurring lipids and esters help support the skin’s natural defense barrier to smooth, protect, and repair. Such substances are often used as emollients and conditioning agents to keep skin healthy and hydrated.
As one of the best sugar waxing salons in Philadelphia, Green City Beauty knows what it takes to develop a healthy skincare routine. At our salon, we create custom skincare solution for customers who struggle with a wide range of skin issues. Whether you are looking for a healthy alternative to traditional waxing or powerful natural skincare products, the team at Green City Beauty is here to help!
Give us a call today to book an appointment for a plant-based facial or Brazilian sugar waxing in Philly today at 267-209-3096.